As promised in my previous post, here is a list of some of my favorite French movies, from a variety of genres, that I suggest you watch as soon as possible.
Let's break it down:
1) Le Voyage Dans La Lune, 1902: This film is the classic of all classics. Georges Méliès directed what has come to be known as one of the most iconic films in cinematic history about a group of astronauts traveling to the moon (which has a face, I should add!). We have all at some point seen the famous image of the Man on the Moon with a cylindrical rocket stuck in his eye. Watch it.
2) La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc, 1928: This will knock your socks off. Those of you who are not fans of silent film, be ready, since it is a silent film experience. But this epic is yet another iconic FRENCH film that continues to stand the test of time. Watch it.
3) Peau d'âne, 1970: Here is where my selection gets un petit peu bizarre. I watched this film growing up and later had my children watch this film. It is a musical filled with whimsical characters, a perverse storyline, and everything people have come to expect from the strange side of French filmmaking. But hey, Catherine Deneuve still looks great wearing a donkey pelt! Watch it.
4) Le père Noël est une ordure, 1982: One of my absolute favorites! The comedy group Le Spendid that made this film has starred in a variety of other French comedies, including Les Bronzés, and always makes me cry from laughing so hard. This movie is the epitome of French humor. Watch it.
5) Les Visiteurs, 1993: Starring Jean Reno (one of the few French actors who has gained some acclaim in America) and a few of the cast from Le Splendid, this movie is ridiculous and hilarious. The storyline, again, is ludicrous, but the actors' performances carry the movie from one silly situation to another. Watch it.
So you have your instructions. Watch these and get a taste of French cinema throughout the years! Allons-y!